Let’s face it, furnishing an empty home can add up quick! And for many of us living on our own for the first time, spending a ton of money is simply just not an option. With a little bit of planning, research and patience, finding the items you need for your new place doesn’t have to break the bank.
Check out these five suggestions for furnishing your apartment on a budget:
- Browse your local thrift, vintage and pre-owned furniture stores for discounted furnishings and decor. The selection at these stores is ever changing, and can often be found at affordable prices. Bonus: finding unique pieces can also add a ton of character to your home!
- Ask friends and family if they have any furniture they are getting rid of. You’d be surprised how many people have extra household items they are looking to get rid of, or are willing to sell on the cheap!
- Shop online. Stores are constantly having online sales, and many coupons can also be found if you put a little bit of research into your furniture hunt.
- Before you begin to buy furniture, create a plan. Split up items that are your must-haves and items that can be purchased at a later date. Hash out the budget you’d like to stick to, then begin your furniture hunt from there.
- Choosing an apartment community with furnished apartment options (like Level 27 in Oxford, Ohio and Peachtree Apartments in Chesterfield, MO) can save you lots of money, and will make moving in a breeze!
Looking for more inspiration? Check out our tips for decorating your living room on a budget.