Moving can be a daunting task. Stay organized during your next big move with our handy ultimate moving checklist!
1-2 Months Before Move
- Confirm your moving date.
- Give notice to your current landlord in writing, and be sure your notice meets the time frame required in your lease (30 days, 60 days, etc.). Be sure to get a dated copy of your written notice with the landlord or management company representative’s signature.
- Cancel and/or transfer for your utilities.
BONUS TIP: Be sure to check and see which utilities are already included in your rent. Some apartment communities such as the following offer all-inclusive rent which saves you the hassle of setting up/transferring some or all of your utilities!
- Submit a change of address (USPS, banks, insurance, doctors, employer, schools, etc).
- Make plans for your kids and pets during the day of the move.
- Organize your belongings and decide what will be kept, what can be thrown out, what can be sold, and what can be donated.
- Collect boxes and containers for moving.
- Reserve moving truck and/or movers.
BONUS TIP: Want to save money and have an easier move? Consider renting from an apartment community that provides furniture packages for their residents, such as:
1-2 Weeks Before Move
- Confirm your reservation appointments.
- Pack, pack, pack!
- Take inventory of your valuables.
Day of Move
- Take photos of the move-out condition of your current apartment in case they’re needed to receive a security deposit you paid.
- Complete a walk-through of your new apartment home, including photos if desired.
- Complete the landlord’s move-in inspection form or make a detailed list of your own to note any items that aren’t working properly or that are in disrepair. Sign and date, present to the landlord/management company and be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
- Make sure all keys/fobs are working.
- Re-take inventory of your valuables.
- Get familiar with where things are in your apartment, especially utility equipment (furnace, breaker, water shut-off, etc).
BONUS TIP: If you’re moving into a larger apartment community, take some time to get yourself familiar with where important amenities and features are, including your mailbox, fitness center, main office and package receiving. The following communities offer dozens of community amenities and have staff on-site daily that would be happy to provide you with a tour of the grounds:
Worthington Meadows in Worthington, OH
Gateway Lakes in Grove City, OH
Marina Shores in Virginia Beach, VA
The Clarion in Atlanta, GA
The Retreat At Trinity in Trinity, FL
Cross Creek Village in Hattiesburg, MS
1-2 Weeks After Move
- Report any concerns to your current landlord.
- Update your driver’s license.
Other Helpful Moving Articles