Dogs are known for being extraordinarily loyal pets. But their devotion comes at a price— feedings, walks, poop pick-ups, baths.
Turns out man’s best friend is kind of high maintenance. And unfortunately they don’t come with an instruction manual. That’s why we compiled this list of hacks every dog owner should know.
1. Apply toothpaste to a lint remover, then have your dog lick it off to freshen their breath.
2. Keep ants away from an outdoor water dish by drawing a chalk border around it.
3. This hack is for dog owners in cities with snowy winters (like residents at The Reserve on West 31st in Lawrence, Kansas and The Haven in Muncie, Indiana): To prevent your dog’s paws from getting irritated by sidewalk salt, apply Vaseline before taking them outside. Rinse paws in warm water after their walk to get rid of any salt or chemicals they might have picked up.
4. Use a muffin pan to spread out your dog’s meal and prevent binge eating.
5. Put a tennis ball in your dog’s bowl to keep him from eating too fast.
6. Braid strips of old T-shirts together to make a DIY dog rope.
7. Keep your dog occupied and hydrated for hours by freezing their chew toys in a mix of water and chicken broth.
8. Hide your dog’s medicine in cooked penne pasta.
9. Instead of chasing your dog when they get out, lie down and pretend you’re hurt. They’ll come back to see if you’re okay.
10. Put a shower cap on your dog at bathtime to keep soap and water from irritating their ears.
11. Make your own dry dog shampoo with a mix of baking soda, cornstarch, and lavender essential oil. (Lavender oil smells good and protects him from fleas.)
Got any other helpful hacks? Share in the comments!